Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Second Night, Third Morning

Becca Allgire, wrapped in a coat and blanket, talks on her phone Tuesday night in front of Ellis Library.

I slept much better on Tuesday night. Before I went to sleep, it was chilly, but not as bad as the night before. I woke up around 8 a.m. to a whirring sound right outside my box. My first thought was that someone was trying to mow the grass around my box. I couldn't run out and check to see what it was though. It's a bit of a trick to get out of a sleeping bad in such a confined space, and I was still a little too groggy to work myself out. 
As the whirring grew closer, I could hear it accompanied by a sucking sound. Aha! I remembered seeing a vehicle on campus that looked like a bulky golf cart with a vacuum attached. They must have been cleaning around the area. 
Mystery solved and in no danger of being mowed, I drifted back to sleep.
When I finally got up a little later, I was reminded of another problem I had also encountered the day before. After a cold night, the contact solution in my contacts case was freezing. So of course, my eyes were freezing for a little bit, too.

No comments: