Wednesday, April 16, 2008

At night in the box

The view from inside my box at night. Memorial Union is in the background. Click the image to view details.

Right before I fell asleep Monday night, I was feeling pretty comfortable. Inside my old freezer box, I wore two layers of pants, two shirts, a sweatshirt and a knit cap. I knew it was supposed to get down into the 30s that night, but after sliding into my sleeping bag, I felt nice and toasty in all those layers. I fell asleep easily.
Then I woke up. I looked at my cell phone. It said 4:06 a.m. I was freezing.
I store a number of items along the side of the box, so there isn’t a lot of room to maneuver at night. The only thing I could do to try and warm up was to curl into a ball in my sleeping bag. It worked well enough, and I got back to sleep.
Today I made sure to patch up some of the holes in the box so less cold air gets in tonight.
I’m in the box right now preparing to go to sleep. It’s supposed to be a little warmer tonight, so I’m optimistic that I'll be more comfortable.

No comments: